Saturday, April 30, 2016

5 Things About Year 12

I graduated high school last year, and to be honest it hasn't sunk in at all yet. 

In Melbourne, year 12 is the last year of school students go through. It's quite a big deal. You go through VCE, which at the end of it you get an ATAR, which will determine which course at which University you go to. So basically, how your life turned out was dependant on how well you did, academically, in year 12. 

Or so we thought. 

Looking back now, I admit I could have ultimately done better. But then again, none of it matters anymore. When I first got my ATAR score, I admit I was, stupidly, disappointed. My (asian) parents gave me a lecture, on how I didn't put in as much effort as I should have blah blah... and I agree. I had a lot of distractions going on during year 12, and maybe I really should have focused on my studies more. I don't regret a bit of it though, I made the most of my final year of school and I truly believe that. 

So here are 5 things that you might want to keep in mind when going through this somewhat challenging year. 

1. Go all out, go crazy, have fun

There's not point just burying yourself in your books every minute. It's important to have fun during year 12. Celebrate your schooling, you've made it, you deserve all the attention you get. 

Not to worry, your school will accomodate for this. My school had catered for students wellbeing. Below are a few pictures of memories that allowed me to go through VCE without going insane. 




My friend and I dressed up for our Year 12 funny photo. It was funny because she was captain for the red house, and I was captain for the green house 

Had a little beach outing with a few friends just before exams started. I needed the break. 



A friends (not the one pictured with me) 18th Birthday dinner at a fancy place.  

Can't forget year 12 formal!!

Dressed up with this friend again. We both look sketchy here. (ha) 
Last day of classes! It's normal to destroy our uniforms on this day. 
My favourite picture from our valedictory dinner. 

Went to Vietnam for schoolies with this bunch. This is probably the only normal photo we got as a group. 

2. Expect distractions 

Everyone has different distractions that steer them away from studying. My big one was probably my leadership responsibilities. I had the role of House Captain, House Music Captain and Prefect. Each role had different duties and not gonna lie, I got sick of it. 

House Captain was just me talking at House Assemblies nearly every week. This meant that I had to think of a topic, write up a running sheet, make sure everyone in the leadership team knew what they were doing etc..  This could've been bearable if it was once in a few weeks, but it does take a toll when you do it every.single.week. Luckily, some assemblies other year levels had to run. That time period was a good breather. It just got a bit problematic when I got a message that nothing was organized (thank god this only happened once) 

Prefect duties were nearly the same. We had assemblies once in a while. But since fate didn't want me to study, they all fell on THE EXACT SAME DAYS I HAD ASSESSMENTS. I'm not even going to lie here we were really disorganized as a committee, so everything was done last minute. I would usually stay up until 2am the night before. 

I'm not even going to start on House Music Captain, maybe another time. 
My dear friend at our last house music festival. She was also House Captain, House Music Captain and Prefect. 
I also made a big, big mistake of starting Game of Thrones..... (Emilia Clarke is hot asf) 

3. It's okay to have a social life 

Year 12 isn't just about studying. Having 3 hours with a friend on a weekend won't affect anything. Keep in mind that people are turning 18 that year, so there will be a lot of parties. (In Australia, turning 18 is a big deal btw) 

I went to a few parties, and I also didn't to some others (mostly because my parents wouldn't let me). It was fine though. People understand if you can't go because we're all in the same boat. Just remember that it's not worth neglecting your friends, it's your last year in school with them and it's important to make memories. 

4. Keep your friends close, but your teachers closer 

I can not stress enough that teachers are the most important people in your life during year 12. Yes, they have all the information that you will learn, but they also make great friends. You're not close enough to tell them EVERYTHING, that's what friends are for. But you're also not uncomfortable in telling them what you're struggling with (This was a great advantage for me, I didn't really like talking to my parents about school) 

The number of times I stayed behind after a class and just ranted to my teacher, was lets say, A LOT. I had a few of their facebook work accounts as my friend too, so if I needed anything asap, I would just inbox them and get a reply in no time. 

Your teachers are there to help you and guide you, not give you detention because you didn't do your homework (actually, that's a lie). If they are disappointed in you, it's because they know that you can do better, and they want to do what's best for you. 

5. It will be all good in the end 

Just because you got a C+ on your assessment, or you didn't get an A in your practice essay doesn't mean it's the end of the world. I didn't do as well as I wanted to, and right now I'm the happiest I could ever be. There heaps of options out there other than University or TAFE after school. Do what's best for YOU, what will make YOU happy and live the way YOU want to live. 

Finishing high school isn't the end of the world, it's the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. 

Bye for now, I'll be back x

No comments :

Post a Comment